Xbox Hits 10 Year Anniversary
The Xbox is now 10! Not bad for a console that many believed wouldn’t be able to keep up with the PlayStation.
The very popular Microsoft made console celebrated its 10th birthday recently and by all accounts, the console wars are very far from over. It’s worth reflecting though on what Microsoft has been able to achieve in the 10 years since the launch of the Xbox.
Many of us won’t remember, but at the time the idea for a competing console was dreamed up by Microsoft, there were only three main players in the market. Sony PlayStation had a staggering 42% share of the gaming consoles market, with Sega and Nintendo fighting doggedly for the remaining 58%. On November 14, 2001, Microsoft along with Bill Gates launched the Xbox in front of an eager crowd in Times Square, New York. A year later, and the Xbox broke the record for being the best-selling games console in history.
In the years since then, the Xbox has grown into a juggernaut; commanding some of the biggest game titles in history (Call of Duty: Modern Warfare) and creating the best-selling gaming accessory (The Kinect for Xbox 360). Along the way too, they good folks at Microsoft have made the Xbox a $1 billion a year enterprise, something few would have imagined 10 years ago.
Do you own an Xbox? Share your gaming experience using the popular console in the comments below.